The Viafoura platform integrates an AI-driven algorithm to facilitate civil discourse
Starting today, News Channel 3 is launching a new digital commentary platform powered by Viafoura.
Our goal is to provide a forum for civil and constructive conversation on the KESQ news website and app.
To that end, we have developed the Community Guidelines described below and are pleased to announce the following new features:
- Custom profile that allows you to create a site avatar and keep track of your personal engagement history.
- Personalized newsfeed that allows you to follow favorite authors and/or topics.
- Browser notifications to let you know when another commenter has replied to a thread you are following.
To use these features and otherwise interact with our feedback platform, you will need to follow our Community Guidelines.
In addition to human moderation of the commenting platform, News Channel 3 will use Viafoura’s artificial intelligence algorithm to monitor and moderate comments. On its website, Viafoura explains that its “intelligent automatic moderation engine was designed by linguists and engineers to capture tone and recognize multiple forms of toxicity. It’s designed to match your community’s specific guidelines to protect your community from hate speech, harassment, and abuse. Questionable comments will always be reviewed by a human moderator.
As a media company, we have a vested interest in open and robust discourse.
At the same time, we recognize that some people take advantage of digital anonymity to spread misinformation or hate. We sincerely hope that the following guidelines strike a reasonable balance and that our users help to moderate respectful conversations themselves.
We will not routinely review comments, but we reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove any misinformation or other content that violates our Community Guidelines that we discover or become aware of.
- Anyone can read our conversations, but to contribute you must be a registered user of our site/app.
- Debate is encouraged, but personal attacks on other users or journalists will not be permitted. Repeat offenders may have their account banned.
- We want to hear your opinion; copying/pasting quotes from other sources longer than four lines can be disabled.
- CRITER is not allowed.
- Any offensive content, especially attacks on characteristics such as gender, race, sexual orientation, disability or religion, will be disabled. This includes using alternate spellings, asterisks, or spaces between words to try to get your comment past our algorithm. Repeat offenders may have their account banned.
- All posts should be related to the subject of the article. Off-topic posts can be disabled.
- Comments that comply with our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines will generally be visible immediately, but may take longer for sensitive stories. After you post a comment, you have five minutes to edit or delete it.
- Users should not post personal information such as email addresses or phone numbers. Public emails and phone numbers, such as those of government institutions, are allowed.
- Users can report any comments they deem inappropriate and a moderator will review them. Users who abuse the reporting feature may have their account banned.
- Feel free to create internal links to articles on our websites. External links are limited to three per post. We reserve the right to disable any external link.
- If you have any issues or questions regarding moderation, please email us directly. Complaints about moderation in the comments section will be disabled.
- Users may not post comments that violate or infringe any copyright, trademark or patent right, invade the rights of privacy or defame others or otherwise violate any applicable law or regulation. We reserve the right to disable these comments. .
- We reserve the right to close comments at any time without notice. If/when we close comments, we will include an editor’s note to the article.
- The following content is prohibited and, if posted, will immediately result in a permanent ban:
- Pornography, obscenity or indecent content.
- Promotion of illegal acts, products or services.
- Threats of violence or violent content.
- Hate speech.
- Post personal information about another user.
- Commercial spam, deceptive marketing practices or scams.
- Harassment or cyberbullying.
We reserve the right to modify these guidelines at any time at our sole discretion.
These Community Guidelines supplement our User Content Requirements, which also apply to the use of this commenting platform.
Decisions regarding whether content or conduct conforms to our Community Guidelines are made at our sole discretion.